“For I know the plans I have for you…to give you hope and a future.”

With Great Joy We Introduce Our Newest Son Aaron Donald Walsh Ho

With Great Joy We Introduce Our Newest Son Aaron Donald Walsh Ho
Born January 17, 2007 Guangdong Province, The People's Republic of China Forever Ours April 12, 2010
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Keep the comments coming!

I am enjoying reading all of the comments people are leaving on my blog! They come to my Yahoo email and so I am able to read them in China, but due to Internet issues cannot actually publish the comments.  (I think I should set aside an entire naptime of the boys once we are home, to publish the comments one by one!)
Anyways, we are really enjoying reading the comments.  After following so many other people's blogs over the years, and occassionally leaving comments, it's now wonderful to be on the receiving end!
 
I want to respond to a few of the questions/comments we've been getting:
People have commented on being impressed with how much we are doing and how we are doing keeping up with blogging.
* With regards to the blogging - Aaron takes a 2 hour nap each afternoon and at night is sleeping about 7:30 - 7am, so after he is asleep, so when he first goes to bed at night, or during his nap, I can blog easily. 
* With regards to how much we are doing, let me first say I am not an adventurous person, at all.  I did a lot of research before the trip and made lists of what I absolutely wanted to do (Lotus Mountain, Six Banyan Temple, Xiangjiang Safari) and then some optional tings.  Also, we are not in a group, so unless it is a day with a required adoption appointment, we are on our own and can either arrange it with our driver ahead of time, or have our hotel get us a taxi.  And, everything is easier if one's husband is Chinese and speaks Cantonese and a tiny bit of Mandarin :)
* Also, remember that we are in Guangzhou the entire trip and we got here with three full days before receiving Aaron.  One day was spent acclimating ourselves to the area, buying a stroller, and just getting the room organized.  Second day we did the White Cloud Mountain (in the pouring rain!) and then the third day we did the Lotus Mountain/Lianhua Mountain, which was a HUGE trip for us.  I would not have done it with a child this young. Our guide said of all the families she has had over the years, no one has ever asked to go there.  She also said not many families go to the Xiangjiang Safari as they think it is expensive.  Some go to the Guangzhou Zoo instead (which we have heard AWFUL things about).  I cannot say enough wonderful things about the Safari!! Best thing we have done as a family while here.
 
Our Hotel
Yes, we LOVE it.  The walk to Shamian is easy for us and much easier than navigating through the construction zone on Shamian! I know a lot of you who have asked about the hotel are soon to travel and members of RQ. I've put a ton on there about the hotel and why it is perfect for us.  Next time (!) I will absolutely stay here again! Anyone considering staying here, please email me with any questions you have!
 
How I am Doing
GREAT! Best I've felt in my life! Close friends (and those on RQ) know I have always had major GI problems, and those worsened the past year - and I'd been realy worried about the trip to China, especially when we have not yet found a med. to solve the issues.  Well, I packed enough Immodium for about 10 average people, and I've not needed much of it at all.  Ironically, a medicine my regular doctor prescribed for the trip for some severe headaches I've been having (muscle relaxant, and told me to take it to prevent these dehibilitating headaches) seem to actually be helping the GI issues.  The first week here I felt 100% fine (for the first time in a long time).  Of course, I'm having no dairy while here, very little gluten, so who knows...maybe those food sensitivities play into things more than I think.  In any case, all my worrying about food poisoning (based on several quite horrific experiences in my life), etc. has caused me to be very, very cautious here, and so far (knock on wood), I've been fine!  Anyhow, I'm fine and thrilled to be feeling so great!
 
Was there really a microwave in our room?
Several online friends from RQ have asked this, some poking fun at me and all my questions I posted while packing.  Yes, I did bring three bags of microwavable popcorn, and no our suite does not have a microwave, although still on the Shifu room info. it does same some suites have microwaves!
 
Packing - Anything I wished I had brought? Anything I brought but don't need?
Again, in reference to my thousands of packing questions on RQ in the past months.  Honestly, I don't think there is a thing I brought that I wouldn't bring again!
What I wished I had brought
- more LONG pants, warmer clothing - it's been cold here!
- more pjs without feet for Aaron - he won't wear the feet ones!
- scissors and tape
And mostly I wish my darn LL Bean raincoat had not disappeared from my carryon somewhere between JFK airport and China...Not pleasant to be in Guangzhou this time of year with no raincoat! Rupert and Aaron are fine, as they have theirs, and I'm using the umbrella.
You all know I brought basically a suitcase full of snacks (instant oatmeal, protein bars, instant soup, pb, bread, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc).  I'd still bring it all! I'm tending to eat lunch in the room, and Rupert gets a takeout of a rice dish or noodle dish for him and Aaron.  We have a wonderful breakfast here at the Shifu, a small lunch, and then a dinner at an authentic Chinese restaurant.  I'm doing fine with the food, but glad I brought the snacks.  Aaron loves the Vanilla Wafers (Mini Nilla Wafers), so I wish I brought more of those.  The Gatorade powder is great because water does get boring after so long...
 
Most of all, just thanks for all the great comments on the blog.  Thank you for all your support during this time in China.  We are looking forward to coming home on Friday, but of course, sad to say goodbye to Aaron's homeland. 
Think that's about it for now!

2 comments:

  1. Nicole,
    I' loving every monemt of your BLOG but we need more PICTURES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nicole, I don't know what has me in tears more. 1)The fact that we are only a few weeks away 2)The fact that I am about 4% as organized as you 3) The wonderful blog you are keeping that makes me almost feel like I am there or 4) the wonderful music that accompanies your blog!!! I actually find I am getting a little saddened thinking your journey is coming to an end. My 13 y/o reminded me that the journey is just beginning. That is so true, but there is something a little sad about the last few days when following a blogger in China. Maybe it's because we will be leaving our children's homeland and all that accompanied it. We'll keep following. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete