“For I know the plans I have for you…to give you hope and a future.”

With Great Joy We Introduce Our Newest Son Aaron Donald Walsh Ho

With Great Joy We Introduce Our Newest Son Aaron Donald Walsh Ho
Born January 17, 2007 Guangdong Province, The People's Republic of China Forever Ours April 12, 2010
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Thursday, April 1, 2010

All Booked (Thanks to Amazing Travel Agent)

If any other adoptive family is looking for the most incredible travel agent, I HIGHLY recommend Todd Gallinek. He is simply FABULOUS. I had contacted him a month ago to introduce myself and let him know what we would be looking for (such as direct Cathay Pacific flight from JFK to HK) and that we wanted to be able to travel in a week or less after getting our TA/CA. Several other families had recommended him. Now, as many of you know, I have very high standards/expectations and want things done a certain way. Most would say I am a DIFFICULT person. Well...Todd gets my highest recommendation.
Yesterday when TA arrived, I immediately contacted him with our tenative dates. He ran several flight options for us, and then booked/held the tickets for us. When I found out from my agency around 9:30 am that the American Consulate had confirmed that Aaron's Visa appointment would be April 19th, as we had requested, and this meant we could leave China on the 22nd, I called Todd right away. Within about 30 minutes the tickets were issued. They've been overnighted to us and will arrive at our doorstep tomorrow.
I was able to then book our hotel rooms very easily myself (Marriott Courtyard JFK for the 6th, Shifu Holiday Inn in Guangzhou for the 8-21, and Regal Airport Hong Kong for the 22). We were able to get the IBM Corporate rate at all three hotels which helps a little.
Now, for all you China adoptive families out there, YES, I am traveling during Canton Trade Fair. I know most agencies won't help their clients travel then due to the cost of hotels (and hotels being sold out too) and guides not being available, but my agency knew we wanted to go then, and that we were going to book it ourselves. (All we needed was TA and Consulate Appointment). Yes, our hotel room is a certain cost the 8 through the 14 of April and then on the 15 (when Trade Fair starts) through the 22 it is THREE TIMES THE COST. But you know what, I DON'T CARE ONE BIT. Our son has waited three years in an orphanage for a family to love him. I'll be darned if I'm going to let the Trade Fair keep us apart now. The way I look at it, if we waited a month until after Trade Fair, sure the rooms would be cheaper, but the flights would be more expensive due to peak season. Most of all, our son needs his family to come and get him, finally!
This weekend I'll post our specific itinerary for the trip.
What an Easter blessing for our family.
Can't wait to hold Aaron in our arms!

1 comment:

  1. We travelled during the fall trade fair in 2006. I agree, our son had waited 5 years for us, your son 3 years, that's too long without a family. Every moment with our children is precious! You will never regret the extra expense, I guarantee it! Go, enjoy the wonderful blessing and addition to your family. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete