“For I know the plans I have for you…to give you hope and a future.”

With Great Joy We Introduce Our Newest Son Aaron Donald Walsh Ho

With Great Joy We Introduce Our Newest Son Aaron Donald Walsh Ho
Born January 17, 2007 Guangdong Province, The People's Republic of China Forever Ours April 12, 2010
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Monday, April 26, 2010

Aaron's First Bike


As I mentioned in a post on Saturday, we were quite amazed at how well Aaron rode Donovan's tricycle. In fact, Rupert went to Toys R Us with Aaron to test out two wheel bikes with training wheels, as I did with Donovan just before Easter. They came home with a biek for Aaron. (We already had the helmet as my mom picked it up for us while we were gone.) Aaron is thrilled with his bike, but finds it is much more difficult than the tricycle and so he only goes short distances. I do think he'll experience more success once we get to Kids Town to get his feet measured and get him some good sneakers. The ones the orphanage sent him in are poorly made and hardly have any soles/tread to them, so they tend to slip right off the pedals. Again, we are just amazed that a child who spent 3 years in an orphanage in China, now a few days after being home is able to ride a bicycle!!
Aaron contines to amaze us in how much he knows. Today we had several appointments and he kept wanting me to write the ABC's and to practice counting to 10 in English (which he learned in one day). Then he writes his own version of the ABCs, with quite excellent fine motor skills for a 3 year old! He has learned quite a few of our household routines very quickly. Last night I showed him where to put his dirty clothes, and tonight while the bathtub was filling, I told him to take off his clothes, which he did and then he promptly went to the laundry basket and put them in there, smiling with pride knowing he had done what I expected.
This morning after I got home with Aaron, I needed to take Donovan to the pediatrician (he has had a sinus infection that has not cleared after one round of antibiotics, the only other time he had a sinus infection, 18 months ago, we had this exact situation). As I left I waved goodbye to Daddy and Aaron and Aaron began screaming and crying for "Mommy." I immediately was reminded of all those times when I could hardly leave the room without Donovan doing exactly the same thing -all those times that separation anxiety peaked. A sign of Aaron's bond with me that is beginning to form.
We continue to be tired. It's very similar to having a newborn when their days/nights are reversed. Aaron slept 8-4, but then could not go back to sleep )nor could we) but at naptime, he slept 1-4 and when we woke him up, he was NOT HAPPY. However, unlike when you have an infant, there is no "down" time - we are literally chasing after these two sons of ours when we are outside. It's exhausting, but we know it will get better once we are back to 100% strength when the jet lag wears off, and when Aaron understands just a little more English.
The boys are doing well most of the time - waiting for each other to put on shoes/coats to go outside, sharing some toys (okay just a few at this point), encouraging each other and comforting the other when sad.
Love,
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment