“For I know the plans I have for you…to give you hope and a future.”

With Great Joy We Introduce Our Newest Son Aaron Donald Walsh Ho

With Great Joy We Introduce Our Newest Son Aaron Donald Walsh Ho
Born January 17, 2007 Guangdong Province, The People's Republic of China Forever Ours April 12, 2010
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Sarah's First Halloween

This year we had two ninjas AND A MINNIE MOUSE. 










 The boys actually wore the same exact costumes as last year, since they still fit. They did get new weapons though, which they were thrilled about (these fancy, double sword things).






After school, we went to Grandma's house in Shelburne for dinner and trick-or-treating in her neighborhood. There are about 25 houses (just the perfect size for the boys right now - we've done this the past two years) and they get to pass out candy to her trick-or-treaters afterwards. (Right now we like it this way because Rupert and I can both go with the kids, instead of one of us having to stay home and pass out candy. And Grandma gets to see the kids in their costumes.)  After the third house, Donovan (my SHY/QUIET/RESERVED son), screamed, "Halloween is AWESOME!! Look at all the candy we are getting." (Okay, so there were probably 10 pieces of candy in his bag...He has no idea that in a couple years when he goes to a big neighborhood, he's going to need a pillowcase...For now he's happy and satisfied with the 45 pieces he got tonight!)

SARAH DID GREAT! (We weren't sure if she'd be too scared.) We carried her (Minnie Mouse) and she was only scared at one house where the homeowner had a scary mask on (that even Donovan backed away from). She was trying to say "trick-or-treat" by about the third house. She showed us again she likes to take charge and organize things (hmm...wonder who she's learning that from...could it be from Mommy and from Donovan perhaps...). We have the boys alternate who rings the doorbell/knocks on the door as we trick-or-treat. She was keeping track and as we approached each house she'd shout out the name of the brother who was supposed to go up first. Also, if her brother forgot to get a piece of candy from the bowl and put it in her bag, she was quick to remind him!

The moment to melt my heart was when we got home and the boys took out all of their candy to sort it and count it and put it in a Ziplock bag for each of them. Sarah was being put to bed at that time. The boys took out all of their Hershey Kisses (about 12 from each boy) and set them on Sarah's placemat at the table. (Hershey Kisses were a candy I mentioned would be perfect for Sarah this year.) They wanted her to have their Hershey Kisses. I took some of the candy from her bag and gave it to them. Their response was, "Wow! We get even more candy when we have a sister!" I told them to enjoy it now because next year she'll be eating it all herself.
Sarah with the new Minnie Mouse slippers Grandma gave her tonight. (She wore them with her costume since she was being carried.)

Sarah with the pumpkin Daddy painted Minnie Mouse on for her.

We did have a casualty this evening. I was so careful watching out for Aaron, who didn't wear his glasses with his ninja mask, but it was ME with the problem. I stepped off my mom's front walkway and rolled my ankle. OUCH! Oh and that was just as we were heading out to get started trick-or-treating! I carried Sarah halfway around the neighborhood and then passed her on to Rupert, not because she was too heavy (though she is a hefty 25 pounds), but because it was killing my ankle to carry her. By the time we got home it was all swollen up. Clearly sprained it. UGH! Those of you who know I started running in June as soon as school got out...this is killing me. Today was the first day I was up to 6 miles (in 63 minutes, so 10 1/2 minute miles which is good for me), up from 5 miles which I'd been at for about 3-4 weeks now. Needless to say I have several "rest" days ahead of me while this darn ankle heals up (fast I hope). Also, both boys have colds, so except for hockey Saturday morning, we weren't planning to go ice skating or hiking or anything.





No comments:

Post a Comment