“For I know the plans I have for you…to give you hope and a future.”

With Great Joy We Introduce Our Newest Son Aaron Donald Walsh Ho

With Great Joy We Introduce Our Newest Son Aaron Donald Walsh Ho
Born January 17, 2007 Guangdong Province, The People's Republic of China Forever Ours April 12, 2010
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

One Year Ago, April 12, We Met Our Son!

Last year, on April 12, we sat on a black leather couch in the Adoption Registry Office in Guangzhou, waiting for the Civil Affairs office to reopen from lunch, and for the children from the Bao'an orphanage to arrive. As we sat there waiting (we were early), the elevator doors opened, and our son walked off an elevator and into our lives. The year has gone so fast. When I see photos of Guangzhou, from other families traveling to adopt their children, in an instant I am taken back to the sights, smells(!), and feel of China, and what it felt like to finally have our son with us.
These are a few photos from our first day with Aaron.

Waiting for Aaron to Arrive...

Photo of the 3 of us with two caregivers from the orphanage who brought the children from the orphanage to Guanzghou (about a 2 hour ride).

Mommy & Aaron

A Happy Boy (with his juice)

Father and Son Looking Down at the City Streets Below


Today, while Donovan was at preschool, Aaron and I had some errands to run. When we were in the car, I mentioned to Aaron that one year ago today we met him in China. He said, "And you gave me a green and white sippy cup with a straw and it had grape juice in it. We took lots of pictures [true!]. Then we got in the minivan. At the hotel you gave me some toys and I got to ride in a blue and orange stroller." These are things I have NOT mentioned to him in the year we have been home. I was planning to look through his scrapbook with him this week of the day we met, day we adopted him, safari park, orphanage visit, etc.....I am amazed he remembered those details on his own- well, I take that back - nothing should amaze me at this point about this incredible little boy. He has a phenomenal memory.
As we drove in the car, Aaron was pointing out UPS trucks, dump trucks, cement mixers, garbage trucks, etc, and saying "There's Koto's Steakhouse where we went to dinner with Grandma, and there's Kids Town where we buy my sneakers." He remembers every detail of what we do!
When we got to the mall, we had items to return to both Kohl's and JcPenny, and decided to park by Kohl's and afterwards, walk across the parking lot on this gorgeous sunny day to JcPenny. As we held hands, Aaron exclaiming, "I'm Buzz Lightyear...to infinity and beyond" as he skipped and jumped over the cracks in the sidewalk, he stopped and looked up at me, and said, "I love you so much Mommy!" and wrapped his arms around my legs, and of course, I just melted. We are so lucky!

what a differene a year makes! While of course I want Aaron to be proud of the country he was born in and his culture, when people look at him they see a typical 4 year old American boy, and when I look at him, I just see the most gorgeous smile, his enthusiasm for life, his happiness, and most of all...I just see, my son!

The photo above was taken on Chinese New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment